What to consider when buying or building a log home?
When you are looking to buy a log home, there are some things that you need to take into consideration. The cost of the home is one factor, as well as the location. You will also want to think about what type of log home you want. There are different profile options when it comes to choosing a log home, including tongue and groove milled logs (Round or Square face), Swedish Cope, and “D” Logs. Our preferred method features a double tongue and groove. You will also need to decide if you want the home to be completely finished, or if you will do some of the finishing work yourself.
The cost of a log home is going to vary depending on the materials that are used, and how big it is. For example, White Cedar logs are generally more expensive than White Pine logs. White Cedar does have better performance than White Pine in regards to its natural resistance.
When it comes to determining the perfect log home for you, there are a few things you should consider. Here are five tips to help you get started:
- Decide what features are important to you. Think about what is most important to you in a home. Do you need plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms? Is energy efficiency a top priority? Or do you simply want a beautiful home with stunning views? Once you know what is important to you, it will be easier to find a log home that meets your needs.
- Consider your budget. Log homes can be more expensive than traditional homes, so it is important to consider your budget before you start looking. However, keep in mind that there are many different types of log homes, some more expensive than others. But with a little research and patience, you too can find a beautiful log home within your budget.
- Set a timeline for buying a new home. Of course, the process of finding and purchasing or building a home usually takes longer than expected, but it is still important to set a timeline for yourself so that you don't get too frustrated. Are you looking for a log cabin that you can renovate to your specifications? Are you ready to commit to a finished home, so that you can move in right away? Or are you wanting to build a new log home?
- Research the construction process of log homes. If you are planning to buy a raw land lot and build a new house on it yourself, then you may want to consider the construction process for log homes. The building process can be quite different from other types of home construction.
- Look at log home floor plans. Floor plan layouts are an important consideration when buying a new house, so don't forget to take some time looking at log home floor plans before deciding on what you want. There are many websites out there with some excellent plans.
How do you care for a log home?
This is something we hear frequently. Caring for your log home is important if you want it to look beautiful for years to come. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Keep the outside of your home clean. Regularly cleaning the exterior of your home will help keep it looking good. You can use a pressure washer or a simple garden hose to clean it off.
- Inspect the logs for damage annually. It is important to inspect the logs on a regular basis for any damage that may have occurred. If you find any damage, you can fix it yourself or call in a professional to do it for you.
- Protect your logs from the weather. If you live in an area where the weather is harsh, you will need to re-stain and re-caulk more frequently. Applying a good quality stain to the logs every few years is important if you want it to protect your logs from damaging UV rays, water, and insect infestation.
Check out these web pages and blog posts for more information on caring for your log home. How to maintain your log home, Important log home maintenance information, West Michigan log home maintenance company
If you are considering purchasing or building a log home, there are many things to take into consideration. First off, it is important to decide what features and benefits of a log home matter most to you. That way, you can find the perfect one for your needs. Secondly, consider your budget before starting the process so that you don't get discouraged after finding a log home you love but it ends up being outside your price range. Finally, set a timeline for buying a property or building one because this process usually takes longer than expected. If all these considerations sound intimidating and overwhelming then let us know- we're experts in all things log homes! With years of experience helping clients build and maintain their dream homes, we're here to help.