Types of Log Homes and Timber Homes
Here at Homestead Timbers we are your Specialty Lumber Yard and your Log and Timber Building Specialist. We will work with you from design to completion, to customize your dream home and make your building experience something to remember and be proud of for years to come! We want to be part of Your Dream, whether you’re are building yourself, hiring your own contractor, or relying on our years of expertise and networks with in the log and timber industry… We will make it a reality! Here are the 5 main types of homes that we specialize in, and a little bit about each of the particular benefits.
Hybrid Log Homes or Timber Homes
A Hybrid Log or Timber Home, takes the typical stick built home to a whole new level. We are able to take certain, components such as log, or Appalachian siding and on the exterior; we can use accent logs or timbers for trusses, porch posts, railings. Reclaimed Materials such as barn siding, ghost wood, or metal, can be used for siding or accents on either the interior or the exterior of the home. Hybrid homes can be energy star rated, with the use of spray foam or Structurally Insulated Panels (SIPS). Thus creating a utility savings that all homes owners can appreciate. A Hybrid Log or Timber Home can be built for between $100-150/SF.
Laminated Log or Timbers
Laminated Logs are two pieces of wood, which can either be squared, timbered, rough sawn, Appalachian, or round log that are sandwiched on either side of a polystyrene foam. The foam creates a well insulated log home that eliminates shrinkage. The logs are light weight yet durable. Another added benefit of the lamination process is that you can mix species on the interior and exterior. Several exterior corner options are available to fit the look you want. Laminate Log homes can range from around $150-200+/SF
Timber Framed Homes are built to stand the test of time. Beautiful mortise and tenon joinery just like our forefathers did it years ago. We will work with you to create exactly what you dreamed of and more!!! Several Species of Timber are available for your frame. With our Timber Framed Homes we have the ability to create an energy efficient home by utilizing the same SIPS panels that we mentioned earlier. Reclaimed beams, lumber, and metal fit perfectly in any Timber Frame. Timber Frames make great homes, cabins, shops, and man OR woman caves. Let us get you started in the right direction from the beginning to the end. You are in the driver’s seat and we are helping you navigate. Timber Frames can range anywhere from about $180-250+/SF.
Whole Log Homes
A Homestead Timbers Whole Log Home can be made out of 10”, 12”, 14” or even 16” Whole logs. The Species does affect the cost. We are one of the few companies that can boast a Northern White Cedar, or Hemlock log, we also have logs available in White Pine, Red Pine, or even Popular. The Logs are kiln dried for 3-4 weeks and then they are processed so that they are all the same size, shape and diameter. They are then either double tongue and grooved or Swedish coped for easy stacking. We can use your existing plan to create a log package, or you can work with one of our experience architects to design your dream. In the end the logs are tagged, labeled, and packaged for shipping. For those who want to build their own home (DIY) we will work with you and even come out to your site to help you get started erecting your own logs; or we can have our experienced crews dry in or finish the entire homes. Our goal is to accommodate your specific needs. As we believe, just like our homes, no two individuals or building circumstances are the same. Whole Log Homes can be built for as little as $150/SF.
Hand Crafted Log Homes
A hand crafted log home is just that, “Crafted by Hand”, they are made out of whole logs that are de-barked, then peeled or hewn. The Logs can be up to 40’ or more in length. They are air dried for months prior and then each log is hand selected, scribed, and then cut to fit in its own special place. Our hand crafted log homes are built on site at the mill yard from the first log to the last roof rafter. Each log is then carefully tagged. Next, the logs are taken down piece by piece and loaded on the truck for delivery to your site. Our experienced crews will travel with the logs to your site and put them up in their final resting place. Hand Crafted Log Homes truly have a wide range of cost, which can vary greatly depending on species, size of the logs, and complexity of design. Expect cost somewhere starting at $200/SF all the way up to $300, $400, or more/SF.
- Log and Timber homes typically have most of the work done off site, which can be done the same time as site work and foundation work, thus greatly speeding up the construction schedule, saving you time and money.
- As is true with all wood, it shrinks and expands. We know and understand this, and have proven methods to compensate for this movement. Let our knowledgeable staff inform you, so you can make the choice that is right for you and your family.
- Design services: we work with several experienced architects and engineers that can customize your drawings, and even provide 3-D renderings so you know exactly what to expect.
- Interior Design Services by Fence Row Furniture our Sister Company. They offer solutions for reclaimed furniture, flooring, interior and exterior doors, flooring, kitchens, cabinets, quartz, granite, recycled counter tops, and much much more. www.fencerowfurniture.com or call at (616)375-1150
- Concrete Services by T.S. Max our Sister Company. They offer solutions for cement foundations and flatwork. www.tsmaxpouredwalls.com or call at (616)677-0078
- Specialty Lumber Yard: the best way to sum up what we offer is a huge variety of everything log, timber, and reclaimed. We have West Michigan’s largest inventory of Reclaimed lumber. If we don’t have what you need, we will get it.
- Sustainability is a primary focus of ours, we offer many sustainable items. Kebony, Reclaimed Lumber, Nylodeck, and Ghost Wood are just a few of our top sellers.