The Story Behind the Sawdust
In 1980 Jim Bursma bought a 40 acre pine plantation and a used saw mill to build his log cabin. He set up the mill in the field next to his home. He used an old John Deer tractor to power the mill.
His brother-in-law visited the cabin and fell in love, so he decided to build his own log home. It didn’t take long for a neighbor and a nephew to do the same. It was becoming a full time job to keep up with the demand and it was fun.
Soon, a nearby log home company needed hand peeled logs. As word spread, local log home builders were stopping by for their needs. A large workshop and warehouse was soon built for the growing business.
At this time, Michigan white cedar was used exclusively for walls and pine for beams, etc.
After two years it was time to retire the John Deer and bring in 440 electric power and a new mill.
The business soon outgrew its location, as the difficultly of bringing in log trucks and semi trucks was increasing. A commercial site was purchased in 1989. A modern log home was built as the office and two warehouses were erected. The shop and sawmill remained at the old location.
Many log home product lines and lumber were added to supply the log home market including tongue and groove paneling, log railing, tongue and groove decking, log siding, and tongue and groove ceiling.
1991 saw the addition of two more warehouses and the workshop was moved to a new log structure due to the increase in product lines.
In 1994 the opportunity was seized to take over a wholesale lumber business that was selling throughout the Midwest. This acquisition greatly increased the customer base and sales. More property was purchased and an 8000 sq ft warehouse was built. This addition along with internet sales changed the company from a local supplier of specialty log products to a national source.
Jim decided to retire in 2009. The present owners, the Kluting family, have greatly expanded the inventory and product lines offered including custom furniture made from reclaimed barn wood, reclaimed Michigan barn wood, Montana Ghostwood, Kebony and Nylodeck Decking.
We strive to be the Midwest’s premier source for log homes, timber homes, and specialty lumber, focusing on sustainable resources and reclaimed materials, with a knowledgeable and helpful staff delivering 100% customer satisfaction.
Meet the Team
• Bachelor of Science in Construction Management from MSU 2003
• LEED AP 2007
• Construction Document Technology CDT 2007
• Enjoys: outdoors, family time, rooting for his alma mater MSU, the Detriot Lions, and Tigers, and cheese curls.
• 17 Years of Experience
• Enjoys: working in her garden, riding horses, watching her kids wrestle, and watching football
• Been in the Building Supply Industry Since 1976
• Worked at Wickes Lumber and Zeeland Lumber before coming to Homestead Timbers
• Bachelor of Arts degree in Education from Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
• Enjoys: volunteering for the American Red Cross Transportation Department and Art Prize in Grand Rapids, MI,
• To contact Mike call 1-616-677-5262 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Warehouse/Delivery Supervisor and Owner-
• Worked for GM for years before owning Homestead Timbers.
• Manages all our inventory, day to day deliveries and all prefinishing orders.
• Enjoys: his kids and grandkids, farming and hunting and fishing
• Medical billing specialist from 2000 until 2011
• Opened our sister company Fence Row Furniture and Decor in 2009.
• Attended New York Institute of Art and design for my interior design certification.
• Enjoys: her family, traveling especially south, horse riding and decorating!
• Currently attending college for Interior Design
• Enjoys: The outdoors, hiking, traveling, the mountains, music, and decorating.
• Contact Courtney at 616-677-5262 or email@example.com
• 2011 Bachelor Degree in Business/Marketing
• 2015 Masters degree in Strategic management
• Enjoys the outdoors, hunting, fishing, kayaking and golf.
• Contact Doug @ firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 2013
• Enjoys: The outdoors, writing/blogging, movies, music, trying new restaurants/being a foodie, going on trips, t-shirt design, entrepreneurship, and baseball
• Contact Ryan at email@example.com
• Graduated in 2016
• Enjoys the outdoors
• 2 years of Tech Center for Building Trades